previous adventure
next adventure
Photo Credits to Nena

Download Full Res Album

DKatz, Sam, Evan, Colette, Bailey, Eddie, Nena, Beth, and I attending this trip. Beth's e-mails for the Tomales Bay kayak camping trip were some of the most comprehensive camping logistics e-mails I have ever received. Nena helped the organizing as well by making a spreadsheet and bringing a bunch of extra clothes (we traded splash pants for socks). Eddie brought DKatz and I all our kayaking gear including an open double kayak, and much of the food and drink was also provided from within the group. Literally all we had to do was show up.

Friday evening I picked-up DKatz at the Presidio and we busted out of Frisco. We stopped at a Safeway to food shop and then at Muir Beach to enjoy the last rays of the day. A group of five or so men charged into the cold waves as their female counterparts stayed warm near a bonfire. As we drove North on Route 1, DKatz filled me in on what was going on with COE tree climbing and his budding freelance photo/video career. He had just got a smart phone for the first time, which was a big deal. We then found a quiet spot near Stinson Beach and fell asleep to the sound of waves.

Saturday morning we woke up with the Sun and drove farther North to the rendezvous point - Blue Waters kayak rental and launch. We put our camping gear in dry bags and were in the water by 10:30am. The headwind on the 4mile paddle was strong and 1-2 foot waves occasionally crashed over the bow of our open kayak on onto my lap. We stopped once on a protected beach with two wood teepees and an outhouse before picking a triangular beach which jutted out into the bay across from Marshall as our camping spot.

Our group set-up our tents at the rear beach just shy of a Poison oak colony and then spent the remainder of the afternoon snacking on cheese, salami, and crackers whilst sunning ourselves on the beach. My tent remained in a lower valley than the others, which would prove to be a rather large miscalculation. Beth provided dinner to all but Bailey and Nena. We cooked three boxes of couscous and at least four bags of Trader Joe’s Indian food. At least one full pot of couscous remained unconsumed at the end of the night. Evening came very late since it was the summer solstice and as we ate, the sun slowly drifted away from our beach and farther East towards Marshall.

After dinner, DKatz attempted to hail the Philippines on the Sat Phone with no luck. He proceeded to record the call in his log book (he is beta testing the service). Next, I began to realize the impending disaster that was Nena or should I say the high tide line accelerated by Nena. What was once an expansive beach was quickly becoming a sliver of sand. A low area near the point of the spit, which served as an entrance to a big depression that split the beach, appeared particularly vulnerable to flooding. At first, I was happy to watch DKatz attempt to create a dam faster than Nena could tear it down. Eventually, however, DKatz gave up and Nena began to dredge a shallow canal directly towards my tent. Eventually, I agreed to evacuate.

That night we made a large fire ate chocolate and played silly games. Dkatz continued to ask Evan about internet security and Sam about the organic food start-up she is a part of. I went for a swim in the brine water and then warmed-up by the fire.

The following morning, DKatz and I woke up first by a matter of hours. We kayaked another mile North, talked about DKatz’s current marketing project, and hiked up to a cliff overlooking Hog’s Island. All of the beaches we saw have names, but I forget them all. Unfortunately, my knee injury made the hike rather uncomfortable. Next, we kayaked back to rejoin the group, refueled with Lemon Poppy Seed muffins, and began the paddle back. The open kayak was slow on the water even with two people, but the wind was lighter and at our backs. It took a long time to clean the gear and mount the kayaks on cars, but we managed. DKatz and I cleaned my tent and then drove to the Point Reyes Lighthouse and stopped at the inverness Deli, a tradition. We called Colin as we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge.