previous adventure
next adventure

I planned this Trip since Rachel was busy doing the job search thing. We drove down to Monterey Bay on Friday, stopping on the way to set-up camp at Fremont Peak State Park. The winds were too high to kayak in Elkhorn Slough, so we drove to Point Lobos and explored the coast line. It was beautiful and it was the time of year when Mother harbor seals are nursing their young. We saw an immense amount of wildlife and hike several miles from Whaler's Cove to Sea Otter Point and back. For dinner, I made a reservation at Il Fornia in Carmel. By chance we were selected as the table of honor and received free appetizers and dessert. The food was probably some of the best Italian food I have ever had (except for my Mom's of course). Amazing. Rachel admired the sand courts at the end of Broadway next to the beach access.

That evening we returned to our campsite, about a 45min drive, but only after we stopped for groceries for the next day. It poured after we got settled in for the night, so very little sleep was achieved.

Saturday morning we returned to the kayak rental location and rented two sea kayaks. They threw in all of the gear and wet suits in the reasonable price of the rental, which was very handy because it was very windy in the slough. So windy in fact that the staff closed the majority of the inland portion of the slough to prevent people from getting stuck. We got up-close and personal with tens of sea otters, harbor seals, and sea lions. There was also a plethora of shore birds.

Following 1.5 hour of kayaking (note: Monterey Kayaks does not charge by the hour!), we hopped in the car and drove exactly two hours to the Big Sur Lighthouse, arriving at 2pm. There, a docent greeted us at the gate an informed us it would be a three hour tour. Gilligan, anyone? I said "that's fine," as Rachel glared from the passenger's seat. She quickly came to realize it was the BEST TOUR EVER and that three hours was not a long time to spend looking at old wood building on a very wind day. Or something like that.

We continued driving and stopped at the waterfall at Julia Pfiefer Burns State Park and to see the elephant seals. The elephant seals were on vacation and very large regular seals had replaced them. Eventually, we reached our campsite and set-up our stuff to dry. For dinner we went out to a local Mexican restaurant about 40mi North of SLO. I ordered the shrimp fajitas.

The trip concluded with bagels and peanut butter overlooking some fisherman on the beach across from the campsite and a leisurely drive back to SF to see Book of Mormon. I gave Rachel a brief tour of the office where we parked. Monday would be packed with interviews at UCSF.